Friday 18 May 2018

The Most Colorful Philippine Festival



     The month of May in the Philippines is the season of festivals. Different provinces celebrate to carry the traditions that had been passed from generation to generation to commemorate the rich harvest that was belived to be blessed by saints. The advent of  festivals shows the rich culture of Filipinos and warmly welcome different tourists from different places in the country and around the world. One festival that was considered outstanding of all and that is the Lucban's Pahiyas Festival.
   
     I have heard alot of this wonderful event and seen posters and photos of it.  People who have been there and experienced the event shared their testimonies about their unforgettable memories of the pahiyas festival.  Out of curiosity and excitement, I decided to go there to experience it my self and a constant traveler tagged along with me.  Well,  brace yourself for a long trip it was a 5 hour travel from Manila.

Mt.  Banahao
     Located at the foot of Mt. Banahao, is a small town of  Lucban. Every 15th of May,  the freindly people celebrate the so-called Pahiyas festival.   This is a harvest feast celebration in honor of San Isidro Labrador; The patron saint of farmers of the Philippines.   It was said to be that in this event, you can experience  the most unique kind of festival,  see the colorful kipings ( leaf life waffers made from rice,), savor the delicious pancit hab hab, taste the flavorful lucban longanisa ( sausage) and enjoy the beauties, adorned water buffalos, giants and marching band in the grand parade.

Image of San Isidro Labrador 
     Pahiyas means "Decor" and during the festival, residents adorn their houses with different fruits, vegetables,  handicrafts and off course the kipings.  The kipings is the most expedient adornement that come with different  bright colors. The festival is not complete without the attractive kipings.   As we walked along  every street of  Lucban,  we were very amazed on how the residents decorated their houses.  It's nice to now how creative Filipinos can be.







      One of the main events of the Pahiyas festival is the procession of the  Image of San Isidro Labrador.   The image of the saint is carried through all the streets of the town along with devotees that concludes at the Lucban church.  Another main event is the grand parade of marching bands,  water buffalos, giants and the beauties.

Parade of the marching band

Parade of the water buffalos

Parade of the giants

Parade of the beauties
     The church of Lucban is another attraction of the town it is also a historical landmark.   It is known as one of the oldest catholic churches in the country.  The church has been standing there since the 14th century and will continue to stand for another century.





    I really enjoyed the festival at Lucban.  I'm glad I had a chance to experience the wonderful event.   I will always remember the warm friendly people, the colorful adorments and the spectacular grand parade.  It was truly a lavish festival and the place is worth revisiting.  See you next year.


   

19 comments:

  1. I LOVE when I can travel and stumble upon awesome festivals and such that I didn't even know were going to happen! Such amazing local color that truly helps me feel as though I know how the culture works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow what an amazing sounding festival. Those colours used are just beautiful and what a thing to have come across and been able to be apart of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors in these are absolutely stunning! I can see why such amazing and brilliant art is all around - super inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the colors on this place. It would be cool to see the buffalo dance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow...that's pretty amazing. colorful is an understatement. i'd love to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great celebration! The colors are so pretty and vibrant. Sounds like a fun time to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The festivals are gorgeous! I love how the community comes together to celebrate the Filipino culture. Ear to ear smiles, bright colors, festivity and lots of fun. If I were there I wouldn’t want to miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The festivals that celebrate the filipino culture are so beautiful and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, gorgeous photos! This sounds like such a fun festival!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like such a fun time at the festival. The bright colors are great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO many lovely pictures. This is just the kind of place I like to visit too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. God, this looks so amazing! I have always wanted to visit the Philippines and this is just one more reason to add to my list! The costumes are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never been to anything like this before. I love festivals but we sure are missing out around here on what a good festival is. I'd love to visit there sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks like such a amazing festival. I love all of the bright colors and everything they have going on there. And anything is good when you are celebrating a harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks like such a fun festival. I would love to visit the Philippines one day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love events like this! You can feel and understand different cultures, so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to attend this Phillipine Fest. It looks so rich and filled with culture!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Philippines has always fascinated me. I live in Spain and I find the fact that it used to be a Spanish colony fascinating (and of course likely not good for the people living there). You can still see a lot of the Spanish influences with festivals like this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds like an amazing day at the festival, I would also love to hear of your 5 hour road trip. I often drive 5 hours to go Edmonton or even more to Calgary in Canada. The first 2 hours there is nothing around, but nature, then there are small towns along the way. Thanks for sharing for your day with us.

    ReplyDelete