Sunday 9 June 2019

Museo De Intramuros: The Collection of Ecclesiastical Arts




     Intramuros - the walled city of Manila is one of the most frequently visited tourist spot.  It is an old walled city built by the Spanish colonizers in the 1571 by the Spanish conquistador Miguel Lopez De Legazpi.  Here, you can visit ancient Catholic churches like the Manila Cathedral, San Agustin church and others. Indeed the walled  has alot to offer to all travelers from around the world. Adding to list of tourist spot of Intramuros is the Museo De Intramuros.





    The Intramuros administration opened the Museo De Intramuros in May 2, 2019.  It is located in corner Arzobispo, Andar St., just a few meters away from the San Agustin church.  The Museo De Intramuros is a collection of ecclesiastical artifacts brought about by the colonization of the Philippines by Spain.  This also shows the merging of the east and west cultures that depicts how the westerners had strongly influenced the Filipinos when it comes to arts and culture.  The Intramuros administration has around 500 artifacts kept but only 30 percent are actually displayed and mostly are sculptures of catholic saint, graven images, paintings and old vessels and altars used by clergy that reflect and dated back since the conversion of Filipinos to Christianity around the 16th century.







 Visitors can see the captivating exhibits in all six sections of the museum: (1) The Roman catholic immaculate conception. (2) The Roman catholic religious order. (3) The Patronato real and establishment of parishes. (4) Religious colonial paintings. (5) The establishment of parishes and sacred vessels. (6) The Indio response.










   The establishment of the museum and the revival of the precious artifacts began in 2013 and went on up to the early 2019 after decades of being kept.  Completion of the exhibits are still in progress but spectators can now see at least 30 percent of the collected artifacts. Visitors are allowed to take photos of the religious exhibits except the religious colonial paintings that can be found on section 4 of the museum for some reason.





 

        The exhibits of artifacts and arts are the Filipino treasures from the past.  This shows how the rich the culture that came to be and how it was greatly influenced by the western colonizers but still remarkably distinguished as a Filipino work of art.  It is highly commendable how the people behind  the establishment of the Museo De Intramuros that made this legacy  available to be seen by the modern people.










Sources

www.manilatimes.net>museo de intramuros
www.tripzilla.ph

Museum hours

Tuesday to Sunday
9:00 AM to 5:00 PM



27 comments:


  1. I am always fascinated by museums and I always take the addresses of the most interesting ones so if I understand it in that city I visit it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting museum. It seems like it has been curated to take you on a very specific journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love museums.. I go to places where the history is still alive... Wow this place is pretty new.. I have to save one Saturday of June to see this place.. Oh are they open on weekends?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been here!! I enjoyed the post and the museum when I went a few years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow some incredible art pieces here! Thanks for sharing all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love museums and especially exhibits like this, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating to learn about the Filipino culture! I like seeing pieces of the past!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Museums are on the top 10 of my favorite places to visit. I love to see artifacts of all sorts. I'll have to see if it's possible to check this place out sometime. There are some really neat things to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a bit of a museum junkie. And, I have always been captivated by the history of christianity and would love to see the Museo De Intramuros collection one day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. THis looks like a place that I would enjoy visiting. The artefacts look like a must see.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an incredible looking place to go and visit. It seems like the museum has the most amazing items to view there. I do love exploring history.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is exactly the type of museum I love. Art tells so many stories of a people, particularly religious art. And I always love to look at all the sparkly things the church commissioned ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you! I have that place on my bucket list :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a museum's lover since they preserve, research, and communicate for the purposes of the study, education, and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like my kinda museum I would love to visit this museum. I am adding this place to my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I'd love to visit someday. I love museums that preserve culture

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love unique museums like this, where you can learn so much history and culture!! On my to-do list for our first trip to Philipines, as part of our next trip to Japan!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whoah this looks like a very interesting place to visit and explore.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is very interesting! I have learned something new about Filipino culture!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never heard of this museum but it seems to be chock full with treasures. Truly worth seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's amazing that they have so many things. Even though a good portion of them are not on display, there is still a lot that are and that is very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks like such an amazing place. I love checking out museums and seeing the important artifacts from different countries would be one of the first things I would want to do. So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such an interesting Museum in Manila I would love to visit this place someday awesome photos!

    ReplyDelete
  24. woo nice and new museum! I really wish to go and visit now when I’ll be around! Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really need to plan my trip here. I am sure it will be full of fun and I will learn a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh wow what an interesting and fascinating art museum and gallery - love places like this

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  27. history still being alive, I love places like this

    ReplyDelete