Wednesday 11 July 2018

Baguio's Most Haunted Revisited



     Baguio city,  the summer capital of the Philippines.   I have been to this place many times and I will keep on going back to that place all over again because of it's cool climate and beautiful tourist destinations.
     Baguio city is located approximately 1,540 meters ( 5,050 ft. ) above see level in the Luzon tropical pine forest ecoregion in the province of Benguet.  It is a highly urbanized city and there are famous tourist attraction that the city can offer and they  are the Penabenga Park; Wright park;  Baguio city hall;  SM city Baguio; Baguio Cathedral; Burham park lake and BenCab museum.  Well these are the popular places that can be visited.
     Baguio is also known for having alot of haunted places.  Infact alot if tourists claimed that there are transient houses that are infested with ghost.  Haunted places in Baguio also add to the tourist attraction sites and there are infamous haunted places that can be visited.  The Laperal guest house,  Teachers' Camp, Casa vallejo and the Diplomat hotel which is the most haunted of them all.




     We were going  to the Banaue rice terraces but we decided  to stop by Baguio city just to visit the old abandoned Diplomat hotel.  It was my second time to visit this haunted place and a friend of mine who tagged along with me also wanted to see the old ruins of Baguio.

Photo of the Diplomat hotel in the 1920s


     History and background:








     There were reports of strange occurrences with in the walls of the old hotel and near by  residents claimed that at night slamming of the doors and dragging of chains and cluttering and breaking of plates were heard.  Even security guards assigned on graveyard shifts often seen shadowy figures resembling nuns would roam the corridors of the hotel.  Reports of other apparitions were prevalent here.  It was said that during the WWII,  the japanese infantry invaded the diplomat hotel making it as a headquarter and before the liberation, barbaric acts were carried out by the Japanese soldiers within the walls of  dominican hotel.   Dominican priests were murdered and decapitated,  nuns were raped and killed and even the children were not spared  even the helpless kids were decapitated as well in the fountain area.
     After the liberation, the hotel sustained  heavy damage and it was renovated.  Tony Agpaoa, an entrepreneur and a psychic surgeon manage the hotel but  he died of heart attack and because of the continuing series of paranormal activities, the hotel ceased operation and was abandoned. Until today, residents still reports of ghastly agonizing sound of cries, mourn of sorrow and deep despair from the hotel.
     When the first time I visited the place, I could really tell that there was something there and the second time I visited,  the same eerie sensation that I felt that ran through my spine specialy in the fountain area.  The old hotel has two fountain areas.  It was said to be where the massacre took place of Dominican priests, nuns and children.  Because  of the strange events of paranormal activities,  the old hotel was featured on television programs as a holloween presentation.

The fountain area where it was said that ghost apparition is prevalent 


The corridor 

     Though the diplomat hotel was considered as the most haunted and series of paranormal occurrences are very prevalent, it was made into a historical land mark and a heritage site.   Today the place can be used and rented for wedding venues and photoshoots.







     Sources:

     www.wheninmanila.com
     www.aswangproject.com
     www.traveladvisor.com
   

30 comments:

  1. It makes me so sad to hear that people treated each other this way. I would definitely be afraid of seeing a ghost if I visited here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i havent been to the place yet and havent heard of it either. but how i wish others would be caring enough to give the place its peace and respect.

      Delete
  2. I've only been to Baguio once and it was a long time ago. I have heard of the haunted house. I hope next time I get a chance to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never even heard of this place before - but I will definitely be adding it to my list for my Philippines trip next summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I haven't heard of such a place. I love the history and its definitely a place I'd love to visit someday. Nice write up. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to Baguio two months ago. It was a really fun experience. I wish we were able to go there but my family are too much of scaredy-cats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fascinating! Not sure I'm brave enough to tour this place but it looks like a beautiful place albeit spooky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cool! I always love checking out haunted places. My daughter would especially love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband would love to check this stuff out. He grew up and a pretty spiritually active house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an interesting place with a rich history! i have never been to a haunted place but that could be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would be afraid to have a wedding there. I would worry about something happening on that special day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How crazy & creepy that it's haunted. I've never heard of this place before but there are so many cool places to visit around the world!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Annemarie LeBlanc12 July 2018 at 20:12

    It is sad that a building that was supposed to be a refuge for priests has stood witness to the atrocities of war. I would not be surprised if it was haunted! Anyway, haunted houses or ghost hunting is not my thing, but if we ever get to visit, I know my sons would jump at the opportunity to explore the Diplomat Hotel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just freak out when it comes to ghosts or haunted places... I guess I would never dare to even go close by to such places if I get to know that its haunted :D ... I feel that you guys are brave hearted to visit such places :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! I loved Baguio, its good to visit this place once in a year to unwind and to have a great quality time with the family. But this article is really something, it gives me the chill knowing that there's a place in Baguio which is haunted

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never even heard of this place before. Such an interesting place with a rich history!Nice write up. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  16. This place looks and sounds super scary indeed! The amount of history it has is incredible though and I can see why so many people would love to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never heard of this place before. It sounds like it has an incredible history and is exceptionally scary too

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had been to Baguio several times... I enjoy going to strawberry farm, enjoy their foods and preserves but never planned going there. Thanks for the post - I think I really not so need to visit it. Just kidding. Great share!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do not think I would be game to visit a haunted place like this! I get spooked way too easily!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love visiting haunted places here in Georgia. I need to expand my travels because I'd really like to visit the old abandoned Diplomat hotel sometime. It looks like my creepy cool kind of place.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow never of this place before. Looks like an intresting visit. I'm definitely open to visit some haunted places but my hubby would be too scared too. What a sad history

    ReplyDelete
  22. A very interesting place with so much history! I'd love to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so creepy cool! I love visiting places with a haunted history. It is fun to see whether you get goosebumps or not!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What an interesting history! I have a number of friends who grew up in the Philippines; I will have to ask them if they've been there.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, that's a great piece of content. Love your haunted posts.😅
    Thanks for sharing this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I havent been there. though i have been to baguio many times. I wish i dont see ghosts or anything because I do not know if i could just take it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a wonderful post! This place seems spooky, but I'd still like to visit. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would love to visit this place! I love learning about "haunted" areas! The history behind them is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I haven't heard of such a place. I love the history and its definitely a place I'd love to visit someday. Nice write up. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete